Tuesday, November 30, 2004

F'er talks and eventually recommends a film

I couldn't let myself pass by a whole month with only two measly blog entries. So let me share something interesting that I was thinking about today. I learned that Sir Isaac Newton was wrong. Masses do not attract each other. A black hole sucks in light, but light has no mass. It is pure energy. The sun will also bend light that shines from stars billions of miles away. Once again, light has no mass.

Here's the deal. We now believe in Einstein's theory of relativity. And we all know that E=mc^2. Well, this is what mass does. It bends space.

Now, in a black hole, space is warped so much that it pulls everything into another dimension that does not exist in our universe. What?! I know, but apparently it's true. Apparently, astronomers have reason to suspect that there are 10 dimensions. Now, is that just dimensions of space? Because time is also a dimension, and, yes, black holes also bend time. I don't know.

All I'm thinking is this. I feel like that is an important thing to know. At the same time, that is nothing I would ever need to know. Is it wrong that I am 22 years old and have never until today learned about the true nature of the force of gravity (even though I still do not understand it by any means)? How are we so smart? Nobody has ever seen a black hole. How do we know they're out there? This world has got some geniuses. I wonder, however, if anyone really understands it all. Everyone great is standing on the shoulders of the great discoverers before them. It is a great chain of invention and discovery, and does anyone truly comprehend the genealogy if its linkage? It's a web. An enormous web of information and knowledge. We don't necessarily need to know step A to have a grasp of step K or step L. We might even be able to be the bridge to step M.

Also. I lied. I am thinking about one more thing. There is, in fact, a film entitled The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension. The film starts out with our hero Buckaroo Banzai going through a mountain, through the eighth dimension, in a super fast prototype car, out in the desert. And if I remember correctly, he was not the first. Another guy went through years before but got temporarily stuck and went crazy, possessed by a creature of the eighth dimension.

Movie Poster

I'd like to think that Buckaroo Banzai is real. That he is out there protecting us. Using his knowledge not merely for money or his own personal fancy, but using it to protect us from those evil minions of the eighth dimension, who have been invading our universe, posing as humans, for decades now.

No comments: