Sunday, September 26, 2004

too many similes, too many metaphors

Oh man! I've really done it this time. I feel like I've dished up more food than I can eat. I'm like the scientists in Jurassic Park who built a dino theme park before figuring out that you can't put up a fence and hope to contain an extinct group of animals that had to be eradicated by a frickin' asteroid collision. Which basically means I'm like Dr. Frankenstein. From one point of view, you could say that I've created a monster that has broken all restraints that I could ever hope to enforce. Of course, if you've ever read Frankenstein, you would hopefully understand that there is sympathy for the monster. Instead of being afraid at what I have done, I should try to understand it better. To show it love and care. Throw away all of the deluded expectations I may have had that my creation was meant to serve me, to gain me fame and triumph. It is a responsibility.

What I've written sounds bad. It sounds like I've commited a crime. Far from it. What I am feeling is excitement. Very likely, I am days away from a major change in my life. All other concerns, like work and shelter, seem so shallow compared to the grandness of what could be going down shortly. It deserves to be recorded in the blog annals of modern history. I have been running down a long footpath, gaining momentum for the bold leap into the deep gorge below. And for the first time I can begin to see the edge of the cliff. We are in the dark movie theatre, and the time has almost come to don the ceremonial 3D glasses for the action highlight of the film.

But as my first paragraph hints, I am experiencing strange feelings that I had not anticipated. I'm nervous. What if I jump into that gorge only to realize that I never learned how to swim? I thought I had it pretty much figured out. Now I realize that this step I am about to take is not a small one. Things are going to be a lot different. And it's exciting. But I must keep perspective. I can't forget that others have gone before me, only to end up shipwrecked, burning their wreckage on a deserted shore in hopes of rescue. They tried to captain their vessel through forbidden waters. In their excitement, they experienced a temporary pride in their accomplishments, putting too much faith into their own limited knowledge of navigation. As they drifted farther and farther off course, they forgot in their fever-stricken panic to look up at the the sky to the one constant source of guidance.

Let me never forget you, God. I thank you for your blessings. Let them never become idols. And now help me figure out this stupid English paper.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not so anonymous comment from Danny...... boo.... bu yao!